By now, if you’re a high school senior, you’ve already made your college decision! Congrats! With all of the applications and stress behind you, what’s next? How about dorm essentials? Life in a college dorm room is a new style of living to say the least, as well as an opportunity to change your room style! But, of course, it’s not all about the decorations and Pinterest finds; there are also practical things you’ll need to bring with you. Since Barnard is in the city, you’ll always be able to go buy anything you forgot, but it’s helpful to be prepared!
- Shower caddy and flip flops: essentials in any dorm hall.
- Organizers for desk materials, makeup, jewelry, etc.
- Rain/Snow boots: The slush struggle in NYC is real.
- A catch dish is a great place to keep your ID, key, wallet, earrings, etc.
- Speaking of your ID, you will need to have your ID with you every time you leave your room! Barnard will provide you with a landyard and case for it, but if you want to put it with your wallet or in a different type of ID case, try to look for one you like before you get here!
- Hand sanitizer! Trust me, you’ll want it after you get off of the subway.
- Vitamin C: No matter how healthy you usually are, at college, you’re going to have to live with roommates and hallmates who get sick and can easily pass their germs on to you, so bring Vitamin C supplements for some peace of mind!
- Blue painter’s tape: It is a lifestyle in the quad. But actually, you’re only allowed to hang decorations with blue tape, so try to find some at home!
- A fan! The temperature in the dorms is fine for the majority of the year, but NSOP week will be hot hot hot!
- A storage box/step stool: these are especially great if you end up living in Brooks, since the beds are pretty high. They’re also useful in the other dorm rooms, which have some high shelving in the closets! Plus, they’re great for storage; mine fits all of my towels and extra sheets!
- A cross-body purse: especially in New York, it’s nice to have a cross-body purse so that everything you bring with you is easily accessible and always on you!
- Pictures! You’ll probably want pictures of you and your friends on your wall, especially when you’re away from each other for such a long time. Besides pictures of friends, don’t be afraid to bring posters of your favorite singers, TV Shows, etc. – they’ll make you happy when you look at them!
- A fuzzy rug is always a great gathering place for long conversations and movie nights with friends! Also, fuzzy anything (socks, robe, etc) will feel great in the winter!
- Snacks! Because everyone loves snacks, right? Keep in mind that you might want to bring snacks that are good for studying, such as almonds, popcorn, or trail mix. But you can always get cereal, bananas, and apples in Hewitt!
- Whatever helps you relax! It’s not like you’ll have a ton of down-time at Barnard, but it’s important to bring things that will help you relax when you do, whether that’s art supplies (yes, we have coloring books in our room), your favorite books, nail polish, card games (Cards Against Humanity, anyone?), or anything else you’ll enjoy!
- Helpful tips:
- Stock up on snacks and drug store items at home; Duane Reade is only six blocks down Broadway, but you won’t have to go there every time you need something as simple as deodorant or shampoo if you just bring extra with you! Also, items might be cheaper where you live than they are in NYC!
- Save any plastic bags you get at stores to use as trash bags.
- A good calendar and/or planner will help you stay on top of assignments and events!
- Switch out your summer and winter clothes during breaks if you’re able to! I kept everything in my room all year “just in case,” which was definitely unnecessary!
As always, comment and e-mail with questions!
Deena Cohen ’18